Thank you Andy for your quick response. I wasn't sure whether to reply to
the users email or to you directly.

Australian English appears to be already installed and is set as the default
language for all documents.

In the language settings - languages dialogue box I have:

Language of: Locale setting: English (Australia)

and in the

Default Language for Documents - Western:  English (Australia).

"the spell checker does not work" means that when I am writing a document it
does not automatically pick up spelling mistakes with the red underline. It
has done it in the past but not now. I recently reinstalled the software but
there is no change.

There are two boxes on the formatting tool bar. I have the autospellcheck
box highlighted and this is what is not working. I have turned it on and off
and this makes no difference. Also, when I click the Spell check box next to
it, it will perform a spell check but does not pick up the errors.

Thanks for your time

[EMAIL PROTECTED]