Hi John,

Instead of using the built-in dictionary wizard, have you tried to use the latest version of the stand-alone assistant? You can download it here: http://ftp.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/contrib/dictionaries/dicooo/DicOOo.sxw
Remember to activate the macros...

I got a similar problem and it worked for me, hope it helps!

Good luck!

Greetz,
          Nomax.

jimw a écrit :
John Jason Jordan wrote:

On Sat, 27 May 2006 10:36:09 -0400
"G. Roderick Singleton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

When I click on File > Wizards > Install new dictionaries, nothing
happens. Nothing at all. Nothing pops up, no error messages, just a
whole lotta nada.

This is OO.o 1.93.129 on Ubuntu-64 Breezy.
Perhaps Unbuntu disabled this feature or is it possible that you are not
connected to the Internet when using the Wizard?  For the former case,
check with Ubuntu and in the second case go on-line.

If Ubuntu has disabled this feature, I suggest that you remove the
Ubuntu version and download directly from www.openoffice.org.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I don't completely understand what you
mean.

1) The only version on openoffice.org that will install is the same
version that I currently have. Note: You cannot install 2.0x on a
64-bit Debian distro because the .deb files do not exist yet. Someone
once told me of a repository that had 64-bit .deb files for 2.0, but
when I added the repositories it turned out that the repository was
there, and there were pointers to the files, but when I tried to
install I got 404 error messages -- the files were not actually in the
repository.

2) if you meant that there is a separate thesaurus file that I can grab
and just place in some secret folder, that sounds good. But I don't see
anything like that on openoffice.org. On the other hand, it's a huge
site, so maybe it's there and I just couldn't find it. If so, kindly
point me to it.

3) It doesn't make any sense that Ubuntu would disable this feature.
Why would they do that? And how could they, even if they wanted to?

4) I am at home where I am constantly connected via ethernet to the
router and cable modem.

I couldn't get any kind of response as to why the Thesaurus might have been disconnected by the Ubuntu people, though they all admitted it didn't work.

I'm still using Breezy, though I'm a bit hazy on how many bits I've got. Computers are not my business, just writing, and I've learned a few things just by hanging around and talking to people.

If you can't use the official download at all, I'd suggest you go back to the Ubuntu forum and see what they can say.

Sorry.

JimW

--
Get SeaMonkey <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/> or Firefox <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=822&t=1> and visit Arcade Belgium <http://www.arcadebelgium.be/>!