G. Roderick Singleton wrote at 7:36 on 16 Jul 2006:

> On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 14:41 -0700, James E. Lang wrote:
> > Given that nobody has responded to this in the more than 72 hours that have
> > passed since I posted it I am going to assume that what I'm trying to do is
> > so
> > exotic that nobody else on this list has ever tried it. Thus I now ask a
> > new
> > question. Is there a better place to post my original message?
> >
> > I'm sure that those who programmed this part of OOo could give me an answer
> > even if that answer is, "why would anyone in his right mind want to do
> > that?!?!?" My answer to that is that Calc is used for more than standard
> > business spreadsheet purposes.
> >
> > I'm using Calc as the framework for program that serves as a tool to assist
> > in
> > solving Sudoku puzzles. I want to be able to hide a copy of the puzzle
> > diagram
> > (thus the question about conditional formatting of borders) until the
> > puzzle
> > has been fully initialized.
> >

> You mean like
> http://www.openofficetips.com/blog/archives/2006/01/a_sodoku_solver.html ?
>
> Perhaps this can give you ideas.

Thanks to both you and Barrie for this link. I have looked at it. David Chapman
does not use borders. Instead, he simulates them by using very narrow rows and
columns which is a technique that I don't want to use. I cannot learn anything
from his formulae since they only remain visible for a fraction of a second. My
own formulae produce a much more complete resolution of the puzzle anyway.

I will have to take a look at the STYLE function as Barrie suggested. It looks
like my only chance with the STYLE function is to do something like the
following:

=IF(AK38="SC";IF(STYLE("nb")=0;"";"");IF(NOT(B2="");IF(STYLE("sd")=0;B2;"");IF(S
TYLE("df")=0;"";"")

I have just now tested this as a means to display text strings in a variety of
different styles depending on the content of other cells. It did not work as
desired. It appears to me that border elimination is not doable via styles.
BTW, other testing that I have performed since Barrie made his suggestion has
verified that STYLE() actually does return 0 and not "" (Bah!) but that its
presence in the first parameter to IF() is sufficient to trigger the specified
style. The latter action is counterintuitive as far as I'm concerned but it
does provide a means of setting a style without corrupting an output string
with a zero.

I did not mean to be impatient when I posted the second time. After all, we all
*do* have lives to live away from the computer. It just seems that if there is
no response within a couple of working days that there is likely to be no
response ever.

--
Jim