You can use OOo for personal or work purposes completely free of
charge. You can even give it to your friends for them to use (heck,
you can also sell it to your friends as well).

There are some restrictions with the license so it may be good to read
them, but you can definitely use it without cost (unless you count the
cost of downloading OOo).

/paul