I'm baffled by this one.  Selecting a word and pressing Ctrl+F7 (or
using the menu) calls up the Thesaurus, but it +never+ suggests any
words.  I have reinstalled and updated the dictionaries, to no avail.
English is the selected language.

A few versions ago, I noticed that if you have UK English (or some other English variant other than UK), the thesaurus doesn't work. That is because the English thesaurus is identified as US English.

Changing the language setting to US English is one option, and several other options have been mentioned on the list over the years. (Can't remember them at the moment.)

I think this might be the cause of your problem, and hope this helps.

A quick test might be to temporarily change your language settings to US English, and see if the thesaurus jumps to life.

Adrian