On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 12:41 -0700, James E. Lang wrote:
> Dave Barton wrote at 22:46 on 21 Jul 2006:
>
> > ... Victor's issue was related to the Linux installation of OOo. Since the
> > introduction of OOo version 2.0 the installation procedure for Linux is very
> > different to that for Windows. The situation for Linux users is further
> > complicated by the different Linux distributors (eg.SuSE, Ubuntu, etc.)
> > including modified versions of OOo in their distributions, which in some
> > cases do not (by default) install to the same file system locations as the
> > "official" version.
> >

> I, too, am a SuSE user. Do you have an answer for Victor's question? I want
> upgrade from OOo 2.0 Novell Edition build 2.0.0.1 as released as a part of
> SuSE
> 9.3 to the standard OOo version 2.0.3. What do I do in order to avoid the
> mishmash that Victor reports?

I have already answered Victor's question. Namely, uninstall the Novell
edition first.

> Should I completely uninstall the "Novell Edition" and then install version
> 2.0.3?

Yes.

> If so, what problems will that likely create for me when I later replace
> SuSE 9.3 with SuSE to 10.1?

As far as OOo is concerned, I doubt that you will have any major
problems.

Regarding the change from 9.3 to 10.1, my recommendation would be to
wait for 10.2, but that's another story for another list.
Arguably, it is better to do a clean install, rather than attempt an
update from 9.x to 10.x. Some folks have succeeded, many have
experienced considerable problems. Check the SuSE list archives
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/

> Will the very process of uninstalling lose any of my data files (I
> doubt it) or OOo settings (I suspect this could be a problem)?

No your data files are safe. Your global settings will probably be lost,
but most of your personal settings should be OK, or least recoverable.

> If so, what do I need to save before I uninstall?

I would backup your home OOo directory and any special global
configurations you have changed (eg. dictionaries in
"/openoffice.org2.0/share/dict/ooo". I can't be more specific, because I
don't know what customisation you have done.

> Should these files be restored to their original directories after
> installing version 2.0.3?

No, this is the main problem with the Novell/SuSE edition, they install
OOo under /usr, whereas the "official" edition is installed under /opt.
With the exception of your home OOo directory, the original directories
will no longer exist, or at least not contain anything useful.

> What else am I, as an untrained user, in need of knowing?

Nothing really. It may seem like a potential horror story, but in
reality it's fairly easy to get OOo set up and working the way you want
it.

Dave