THank you Arnold & Walter; I am using Windows XP Home. I now see that my previous error was in not first saving the target sheet 'A' before using it as the source for the formulas in spreadsheet B. This morning, when I re-opened my system and the Calc sheets, I answered 'Yes' to the Refresh question & spreadsheet B came up with the expected/requested references & results. In other words, it now seeks & finds the correct cells/SUM in 'A' and my = formula in 'B' gives me the expected results.
Thank you for your help.
Regards,  Royce G.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Walter A. March" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [users] CALC ERROR using (= formula from another spreadsheet)

Same results as Arnold (IE works as expected) on my OOo 2.0.3 on Windows 2000 Professional.

WalterAM

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Royce,

I've tried to reproduce the situation you described in your mail an found no problems.

I created 2 calc-sheets. In the 1st I then put some numbers like this:

1 2 3 4 5
2 3 4 5 6
3 4 5 6 7
4 5 6 7 8
5 6 7 8 9

and totalled them in a row below them. After that I saved the sheet. In the 2nd sheet I created the formula that copies the values from the 1st sheet and the were the same. I saved the 2nd sheet too. Then I just removed the numbers in the first column of the 1st sheet and saved the changes. Finally I closed sheet 2 and reopened it again. I answered 'Yes' to the question on refreshing the external links and there was the 2nd sheet with the expected 0 in column 1. The other columns remained with their original value (20,25,30,35).

So the problem must be something else than OO.o. To your info I'm using OO.o 2.0.3 on an WinXP Professional-system.

Arnold Huzen

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.