----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Detwiler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 3:04 PM
Subject: Re: [users] Overline?

Jim White wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Harold Fuchs [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2006 11:51 AM
To: users@openoffice.org

Another possibility I thought might work is as follows:

1. Type the text you want overlined.
2. Highlight it.
3. Do Format/Paragraph/Borders; choose a line style that suits and a border that is only on top of the paragraph.

This fails because it overlines the *whole* line instead of merely the paragraph.

Do you think this is a bug? Anyone?

Regards, Harold

I have long thought the "paragraph border" should respect the paragraph
borders.  If not a bug, then it's a design flaw.

Jim White

I'm not sure I totally understand. If I create a paragraph, and indent it (Format > Paragraph > Indents and Spacing) from both the left and right margins, and then put a border around it, the border only goes as far as the limits of the paragraph. In other words, the border is also indented from the left and right margins. The border does NOT extend to the margins of the page. So it seems to me that the paragraph border DOES "respect the paragraph borders". Unless I'm totally mis-understanding something.

The border does indeed respect the left edge of the paragraph as defined by indentation.

I suppose the behaviour on the right depends on where you think the paragraph's right edge is.

For a multi-line paragraph it seems reasonable that the right edge is defined by the right indentation because the text will break there.

However, for a single line paragraph my view is that the right edge is the end-of-paragraph mark, which can be made visible by choosing View/Nonprinting characters. My reasoning here is that normally one would want the border to surround the text but not any white space which is only there because the right indent point is to the right of the last character of the text. If one wanted to surround the white space one could include non-breaking spaces (ctrl/space).

Harold Fuchs