Unsure what instructions you have followed but it is generally pretty simple.

If you have a .doc file, open it in OOo, then select 'save as'  and
choose the .odt extension (which is normally the default).

There is also a batch converter "file - wizards - document converter"
if you have alot of documents.

If you are meaning that when you double click on a .doc you want it
opened in OOo, then you have to change the association for each of the
file types (eg, .doc, .xls, etc...). This can be done when you are
installing OOo, but also done after.  If you google for this there
will be guides to assist....

/paul