On Thu July 27 2006 22:01, + Michael_google gmail_Gersten wrote:
>  [ MODERATED ] ***********************
> I have used open office on my mac (X11) without problems.
>
> Now I'm trying to get it to run under windows.
>
> I get a dialog box at startup telling me that configuration data is
> corrupted.
>
> The file is inside my profile, inside application data\open
> office.org2\usr\uno_packages\cache\registry\com.sun.star.comp.deplayment.co
>nfiguration.PackageRegistryBackend\registry\data\org\openoffice\Office\Proto
>colHandler.xcu
>
> Looking in the directories, as soon as I get to "cache", the directory is
> empty.
>
> First, how do I get this to run on windows?
>
> Second, the error box and my choices:
>
> Configuration data is corrupt. Without this data some functions may
> not operate correctly. Do you want to continue without the corrupted
> data? (Yes/No)
>
> Well, does continuing without the corrupted data mean that things will
> not operate correctly? Or does continuing with the corrupted data mean
> things will not operate correctly?
>
> And, in general,
>
> Yes, do not use the data
> No, do use the data
>
> seems to be backwards.
>
> But really, I can think of 4 choices that should exist:
> 1- Use the corrupt data
> 2- Do not use corrupt data, use some default good data
> 3- Do not use the corrupt data, use an empty dataset
> 4 - Abort, do not start up, just exit.
>
> Which of these is the "yes" and which is the "no"?
>
> And finally, why am I getting a URL'd version of the filename,
> complete with "%20" all over (Documents%20and%20Settings, etc) and a
> file:/// at the start?
>
> If the goal is to provide something that end users can use, this seems
> needlessly confusing.
>
> Oh, and can that error panel PLEASE support copy/paste? I hope I
> didn't make a typo trying to retype it.

Hi Michael,
 Can you please report this in issuezilla ? ( http://openoffice.org -> "My
Pages" -> "Register", then when you receive a confirmation email, "Login"
and "File an issue" )
In this way the relevant developers will see your bug report / suggestion and
you will also see the progress of this feature / bug report if it is
accepted.

Also for your problem - I would try to rename the cache directory with another
name and then restart OpenOffice.org.

Please reply to users@openoffice.org only

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor