On Saturday 19 August 2006 09:53 am, Diane Richardson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just provided a few simple OpenOffice budget management
> spreadsheets on my website - www.budget-master.com - as a
> convenience to others, but when testing them they opened as text,
> instead of downloading as spreadsheets like their xls equivalents
> at the same location. And I've checked everything and can't find
> the problem and need help.
>
> I created the 4 spreadsheets by opening each in OpenOffice then
> saving the spreadsheet using the ods extension then tested them to
> work fine on my desktop before uploading them to the server.
>
> I'm using OSX Tiger/Safari (w/X11) on a PPC and have no other
> problems - OpenOffice and everything else works just fine.  I have
> my own server (from ipowerweb) that was set by others to use an
> "WIN XP Reloaded Compact skin", if that matters.  (I'm not really
> technical - I just get bye enough to get most things done.)
>
> Thank you for your help, (I read the FAQ's and some messages but
> didn't find what I need.)
>
> Diane Richardson

     I am using Linux and had a similar problem. Konqueror wanted to
open the *.ods file with a text editor. However, by first saving it
to my harddrive, double clicking its icon opened it in OOo. So,
perhaps this is the solution: save it to disk before opening it.
     When I used FireFox, I had no such problem. It recognized it as
an OOo spreadsheet.
     I have just tried another approach using Konqueror that you might
want to try with Safari. If I right clicked on a link to a *.ods
file, I was given some choices of what to do. One of them was to open
it in OOo Calc.

Dan