James Greenidge wrote:
> G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
>> Now after all this, you should consider upgrading when you get your
>> problem solved. because the current release is 2.0.3 and the latest
>> stable 1.x.x versioin is 1.1.5
>
> Greetings:
>
> This has always puzzled me and can you clarify it some? Mac OOo 2.3r3
> has functioned perfectly for me despite my abuse and twisting it into
> a pretzel and it's always come through, no trips. The only "complaint"
> I have is its somewhat shackled Mac feature sets (which hopefully Aqua
> OOo will be able to address), but otherwise I'm a happy camper. So
> from my perspective it's a "stable" product, but how do OOo engineers
> and programmers define "stable"?  A point-one bug rate? When there are
> zero bugs? (is this even possible??). Just like to know how and where
> the line is drawn between "stable" and "beta."
James:

There is a test procedure that all releases must go through.  The first
and formost concern is that all actions are functional and that those
that do not work will not interfere with a majority of users.  There are
issues, such as MailMerge through a remote MySQL database that do not
work from the MacOSX version.  There is also the broken functionality of
the MacOSX Intel Base wizards not working.  These are not easy to fix
and will require months of work (one has an issue that is over one year
old.)  Thus, the decision was made to release this version with the
caveat that Base wizards to not work.  This is a hard decision.  And I
have yet to work with software that was entirely 'bug-free'.  If I could
find such a program, I would be very, very happy.

James M.
Mac OS X QA Test Lead