Update -- between the writer's guide and a bit of experimentation, I discovered that all pages had the Default style set, and that my first-page header was really the Default. By right-clicking in the bottom [status?] bar on the section that was labeled "Default" I was able to change the first page to First Page style, the rest to Default style and to apply the appropriate headers.

Thanks for the guidance.
Donald.