It seems, finally, that the problem may arise from numbers entered as text in the looked up range, rather than empty cells. Otherwise, vlookup would return a numerical value if the cell looked up contained a zero.

So, value/vlookup is the easiest answer.

That, of course, returns an error if the contents of the looked up cell contain something which cannot be rendered as a number. But, enough already.

Ross Johnson wrote:
Kirill S. Palagin wrote:

In my case cell is not empty - it contains the value of zero, I can use
that cell in all math operations, but result of vlookup is not a number.
I've just been trying various possibilities with this (using OOo 2.0.3) and in every case, lookup returns whatever is in the target cell. IMO this is what I would expect to happen. I may want lookup to return empty, or with whatever text is in the target cell, or a number.

I tried =VALUE(VLOOKUP(...)) where the lookup returns empty, and I also get Err:502. VALUE() doesn't like empty/null. So, what is the type of an empty cell returned by a lookup function? Why isn't it interpretted as zero or "" depending on context as it is for a direct cell reference?

In the meantime, I think the solution is to split any formula that contains a problematic lookup so that the lookup is done in a separate cell, then reference that cell in the formula.
<snip>