Cathy,

The Ubuntu folks go to a lot of effort to integrate OOo into Ubuntu and it should already be installed. If not, you need to make sure the proper program repositories are enabled, then simply open a terminal and ap-get update then apt-get install OpenOffice. Or you can use the graphic interface for
apt-get such as Kpackage or synaptic.

It is preferable to use the Ubuntu deb packages as they are properly integrated into the Ubuntu distribution. If there are features left out or some other reason, then you can install from other locations a version more suitable for your use. However doing so could possibly cause other
problems.

Ross Bernheim