Hi David

I am new to this list and to Open Office, so please forgive me if this
has been answered before.  I manage a small network with mixed Windows
and Linux machines.  I have begun experimenting with Open Office in the
hope that I can migrate all the machines away from Microsoft Office.

I'm doing similar experiments in my workplace. So far they are going
very well! My work network consists of a bunch of Windows XP machines
running different versions of Microsoft Office, plus one Windows XP
computer running OpenOffice 2.0.2.

The problem I am having is that I cannot save any Open Office document
to a shared Windows network folder on our Windows 2003 server.  If I
try, I get an error dialog saying something like "the document cannot be
saved because it does not exist."  "Save as" does not work either. The
only way I can store OO documents on the server is to first save them on
the local drive and then copy them to the server.  The shared folder on
the server allows all users to create, modify, and delete files, and I
have no problem doing so using MS Office or any other program.  This
problem has occurred on both of the Windows XP computers I have
attempted to use.

I'm not experiencing the same thing here. I can open and save Word and
Excel documents on the network, both through Network Neighbourhood and
on mapped network drives. No error message is displayed.

I have not integrated the Linux machines completely
as yet, so I cannot comment on them.

Fortunately(?), I had some serious problems with my work Windows
computer after we moved to a new office. I guess that someone dropped
it in the move.

During the couple of weeks before I got a new work computer, I used my
own laptop computer in its place, running both PCLinuxOS and Suse
10.1. I didn't experience any problems during that time. Everything -
in terms of documents, networking and printing - worked perfectly.
Opening and saving documents worked smoother if I mounted the samba
shares. It was a very successful exeriment.

I'm not sure why your experience is different. It may be that your
network is set up differently, or perhaps you are saving the documents
differently somehow. I'm happy to follow it up with you (on list) and
do some experiments on my side if that will help.

Adrian