Click on the X11 window top menu and select File then New.  You can create all
of the file types listed.

To open existing files, you just double-click on them or you can drag them into
the Applications folder on top of the OpenOffice.org 2.0 item.

>Any idea what's going on?

Unlike the Linux/Windows version, OpenOffice is installed as only one item due
to restrictions of the Mac OS X operating system.  Efforts are underway to
correct this.

James McKenzie