You need to reinstall X11.  It is possible, but very unlikely, that your first
installation did not complete properly.  If X11 continues to not function
properly, you will need to uninstall it and re-install it.  You also need to
install the X11 user package as an administrative user and no others (including
the use of root.)   This is by Apple's design.

>Have any ideas why?
>
>Running OSX 10.4.7 on an Intel Mac.

You need to update your system.  10.4.8 is now out.

James McKenzie