On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 00:11 +0200, Mathias Bauer wrote:
> David Walter wrote:

> >> I'm not sure if I understood correctly: the locations you can't save to
> >> are on a Windows server, not on a Linux server? Or do you also have
> >> problems writing to directories on a Linux server?
> >
> > The locations I can't save to are shared folders that I have set up on a
> > Windows 2003 server.  I do not as yet have a Linux server, (but that
> > might be the next addition to my little network.)  Our network is not
> > set up as a fully qualified domain - it consists of two workgroups in
> > more or less a peer to peer setting.
> > The server does act as a file and application server for our accounting
> > program.  As I said, I am no networking expert, so it could be the way
> > the network is organized.  It looks like I need to crack open the books.
>
> Just one more question (maybe already answered though I didn't find it
> in the mails): is this drive a mapped drive or did you access it through
> "Network Neighborhood" or UNC path name?
>
> And did I understand correctly that you can't save existing documents as
> well as new documents to that place?
>
> Have you tried filemon to get a log of possible errors?
>
> Best regards,
> Mathias

Mathias,
The shared folder on the Server one level above the folder I want to
save in is a mapped drive - S: on my desktop.  Even though I am
connected to to server and can browse S: to my heart's content, OOo
won't save to it, no matter whether I use the UNC path or the mapped
drive.
You mentioned filemon.  Sorry to say that I hadn't heard of it till now.
A Google search reveals that is could be a very useful tool.  When I get
back to the office, I will download it and try it out.  Thanks for the
tip.