Harold Fuchs wrote:
Sorry but I'm confused.

If I use Format>Character>Font Effects to change a selection from all lower to
upper case, it changes as I'd expect. *But* if I then use Format>Change Case to
change the selection back to lower case *nothing* visible happens.

The only time Format>Change Case has any visible effect is if Format>Character>Font
Effects is set to "None".

What is going here?

I simply don't understand the words "Font effects leaves the characters as they are,
but formats the display of the fonts."

Harold Fuchs
London, England
It goes something like this:

Text in the document -> Font effect -> Text displayed.

When you type in something, it gets stored in the document. Font Effects change how that is shown, but not what is actually in the document. So, for instance, "Lower Case" with a character style that changes the text to lower case would look like "lower case", but the text in the document would still be "Lower Case".

Then, lets say you select the text, and use Format>Change Case>Uppercase. The text in the document becomes "LOWER CASE". However, then the font effect changes how the text looks to, once again, "lower case".