I am trying to do something that doesn't seem all that difficult, but I can't
figure it out.

 I have two columns, let's say column A and column B. Cells in Column A contain
a single letter, "A", "B", or "C". Cells in column B also contain a single
letter, "Y" or "N". There are several hundred rows of data.

 I know I can use COUNTIF to count all of the "Y's" in column B. What I would
like to do is count all of the instances where Column A is an "A" and Column B
is "Y". (Then do the same for the other combinations of letters, but I do the
extrapolation once I figure out how to do it with "A" and "Y".)

 I can think of some in-elegant ways of doing it, like sorting by column A,
putting all of the rows with "A" into a separate sheet, etc., but I'd like to
avoid that level of data manipulation if I could.

 Any suggestions would be apprectiated; thanks.

AOL Mail and more.