It *may* be that you have accidently turned off the Automatic spell checker. At
the top of the OO window there's a row of icons (buttons). One of them has
"ABC" underlined with a wavy red line. This button turns on/off the automatic
spell checker. If the button is white and contained in a box then it's on. If
it's grey and not in a box then it's off. OOo remembers the setting when you
shut it down ...