as far as i know it is OK. i use OO and GIMP on my thumb drive at school all
the time. i am fairly close to the guy who is head of the tech area in my
department at the university and we have had discussions about installing OO
on the computers in his domain. however, because of some contract with MS
and the school he can not do that. i have told him i use it on a thumb drive
with OO on it and he absolutely does not care. however, that is my
experience talk around with your tech people.

also portable apps do not get installed on the computer. they are just on
your thumb drive. this means that it acts like you opening up a web based
program(ex. writly) and running it (at least it is the same idea,
technically not in the same way).  as far as no one complains or tells you
not to do it i would not worry about it.

On 10/14/06, M. Fioretti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 22:20:15 PM -0400, Dan Bodoff ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:

> Might be a silly question, but I was wondering if I could install
> and run Open Office to a thumb drive, or something like that. I am
> not allowed to install new programs on my computer at work. But, I
> have been using Open Office at home. I would like to be able to move
> back and forth between these computers without having to install
> again.

The *technical* part of your problem has already been solved by
others, so I won't reply it here. However, the real problem isn't
technical, is it? Sorry, but I really have to ask:

you can _not_ install new (=unknown, unauthorized, unsafe...) programs
on that computer, but you can _run_ the same new (=unknown,
unauthorized, unsafe...)  programs on the same computer, just because
they are on a thumb drive?  Or, for that matter, your admin access to
your office computer is restricted, but you _can_ attach a thumb drive
to it?

I don't meant to be offensive, really. Just curious to know what the
computer security and usage policies are in other workplaces (not that
myne is perfect, far from it).

Ciao,
       Marco

--
The right way to make everybody love Free Standards and Free Software:
http://digifreedom.net/node/73