arnold huzen wrote:
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by 'as in book signatures'.

Arnold Huzen

Eric S. Johansson schreef:
as in book signatures.  any way to print them automatically in OO?

from wikipedia:

A signature is a large sheet printed with several pages, intended to form four or more leaves in the finished book. The pages are arranged on the sheet so that all of the pages orient the same way and are in proper sequence after the sheet is folded. Arranging these pages correctly is called imposition. (Signature also refers to a sequence number or code printed on the sheet so that the several signatures that make a complete book may be properly sequenced; this signature is often trimmed off after binding.) The signature may be folded in several ways, depending on the number of leaves it will form; it is then stitched together down the last fold. See also paper size.

* A sheet folded in quarto (also 4to or 4º) is folded in half twice at right angles to make four leaves. Also called: 4-page signature. * A sheet folded in octavo (also 8vo or 8º) is folded in half 3 times to make 8 leaves. Also called: 8-page signature. * A sheet folded in sextodecimo (also 16mo or 16º) is folded in half 4 times to make 16 leaves. Also called: 16-page signature. * Duodecimo or 12mo, 24mo, 32mo, and even 64mo are other foldings of a signature. Modern paper mills can produce very large sheets, so a modern printer will often print 64 or 128 pages on a single sheet.
-------

what I'm looking to do is produce a book by hand. I'm not interested in perfect binding although I will settle for that if I have to. I would like to produce a book with hand sewn binding. I need to be able to print in the right order, page images, four to a sheet (two front, two back) such that when four sheets are folded and nested, the 16 leaves are all in correct reading order.

If I'm to use perfect binding, I need the same kind of printing order because perfect binding requires cutting the sheet along the leaf boundary and then collating the pages. If you have the right order, it's simply putting one stack on top of the other otherwise it's a nasty job of hand collating.