I said "column-wise". Sorry for not being clear enough.

>     Is this what you mean? You have data scattered in cells
> over a range. (Suppose the range is A2:W7.) You are looking
> for the sum for each column from A through W.
>     If this is the case, these steps will do it:
> 1) Click A8 to highlight it.
> 2) Click the Sum icon (it is the Greek letter sigma) and <Enter>.
> 3)Click A8 to highlight it again.
> 4) Shift+End (This highlights cells A8 through W8.) 5)Edit >
> Fill > Right (This fills in the formulas for summing each
> column to cell 8 of its column.)
>
> Dan

Step 2 does not sum the whole column if there are gaps (empty cells,
zero values) in the column. Instead it sums to the gap.
While I can easily correct the formula (even with just mouse), it would
be better to not have to do this at all. Compare 5-step process above
with
1. Select the range.
2. Click Sum button. All columns are summed individually.
in competing spreadsheet.

I filed RFE 70778 for this.

Thanks.
WBR,