I run Open Office w/ 98SE on my computer with ASUS mobo and AMD 1.2 gig
Athlon, and 256 MB RAM.

I also run it on an identical computer running Fedora Core 4. It is just
as fast, or slow on either computer.

It runs much slower than Office 97 PRO on my windows machine.

Someone said that MS Office is 10-100 times faster than OpenOffice. I have
Windows 98 (first edition) and OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 on a 450 MHz Pentium 2
with 256 MB SDRAM. A couple of years ago I had MS Office 97 installed and I
agree. Office 97 was at least 10 times faster on my machine, probably 100
times is closer to the truth in my case (probably depending on a lot of
things). I tried OpenOffice.org 2.0 and it worked on my Windows 98 system,
but it was even slower than OpenOffice.org 1.1.5.

I use Ver 1.1.3 on windows. You might get an older version if you have
an older computer.

I have used 1.1.3, 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 with Windows 98 and I didn't notice any
difference in speed between them, so I would at least upgrade to 1.1.5. I
don't know about 1.1.4 and older versions, but 1.1.5 can read open document
files. You can edit the files, but if you want to save the changes you have
to save as another format, such as SXC, SXW, Word, Excel, RTF etc.

Best regards

Johnny