 From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To: users@openoffice.org
 Sent: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:38 AM
 Subject: [users] general frustration

  I know this is supposed to be directed to your support forums but that
is not the point. I am trying to say that the lack of any basic tutorial
makes the dataBase software impossible to negotiate.

I am trying to understand how to use Open Office dataBase, but I am
finding the existing level of help opaque to the point of impossible. I
am a newcomer, I do not have any experience with databases. and so I do
not know what tables, queries, etc, really mean. for example tables in
Writer are simply a table as in html but in Base they are clearly
something quite different but there is no obvious description of what
they are. Also having persevered for a little while I find that when I
make up the headings for the table I cannot then come back and insert a
new row where I want it to go, it will only go at the end which is
pretty useless.

I've tried working with the bibliography database but I cannot find out
how to make any of the changes stick when I type in the details of a new
entry.

To put it plainly. I need a basic introduction to your database system,
with terms explained etc, and where you don't assume that the user is
already a master of the topic. The problem is you all know how to use
the stuff, but the average person out here in user space doesn't have
the background and needs to be given some sort of entry point to any of
the topics. I'm sure the problem will be the same when I tackle Impress
or Calc.

Stephen Jones