From: "Harold Fuchs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 4:30 AM
Subject: Re: [users] [moderated]

On Tuesday, October 24, 2006 1:14 AM [GMT+1=CET], Cathy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've downloaded your product and now I have no idea what to do with
> it. It's not listed under programs- in fact I have no idea how to
> access it. I can't imagine how I can possibly try it out. Most
> programs , you click an icon and do what you want with it. I'm
> feeling pretty stupid. Perhaps it didn't download properly? I find
> nothing to help me.
> Can you help?
>
> Cathy
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

What you downloaded wasn't OpenOffice itself but a program to install the
OpenOffice software. You need to run this program. Before you can do that
you need to find it. When you downloaded it, the download process will
either have asked you where to put it or will have put it in the place you
*usually* use when you download stuff. Only you know the answer to that one.
Many people download stuff to their desktop. Many people don't.

Assuming you are using Windows and that you downloaded the latest version
(2.0.4) then the name of the file you downloaded is
"OOo_2.0.4_Win32Intel_install.exe"

If you can't find it you can ask Windows to find it for you: click Start,
click Search, click "All files and folders". Type the name of the file into
the box labelled "All or part of the file name". Make sure the box labelled
"Look in" has a list of all your hard drives (C:, D:, E:, ...). Click
Search. Wait. Wait. Assuming you did actually download the file, its name
and location (folder where it is) will be displayed. Make a note of it. To
install OOo, double click the name of the file. Follow the instructions.

If the Search doesn't display anything then something went wrong with the
download process. In that case you'll need to do it again.

Harold Fuchs
London, England