Please explain in detail how I get a paragraph whose initial capital letter is larger than the other capital letters in the same paragraph and also drops *below* the line it's on.

I'm a little puzzled about the apparent difficulties with drop caps, given the number of posts, and detailed advice, on this topic.

I've never used drop caps before I saw this thread, but all I did was go to a paragraph, select Format > Paragraph, click the Drop Caps tab. Click the "Display drop caps" check box. Select how many lines you want the drop cap to extend to. That's it, it works fine for me. I like it, I may use it for real in the future.

I'm using Windows XP, OOo 2.0.2.