I had the same problem, and Christopher Frank responded with the following fix - which worked for me:

The suggested workaround:
Open the terminal application and type:

sudo mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF.bad
<return>
enter your password
<return>
sudo mv /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/Vera*.ttf /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ fonts/TTF.bad
<return>

the code will create a new folder "TTF.bad" and will copy all "Vera" fonts to this folder. This must be done with administrator "root" rights (sudo)

Good Luck