On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:50:05 +1300
"r.a.macintosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> HI,  I am using open office org 2.0
> I am trying to find   the font on the tool bar to be able to make boxes for a
> survey so people can tick yes or no to questions.
> Please help me to navigate open office to allow me to do this task.
> I am new at computer use,and find myself confused with this task
> Many Thanks Avaleen MacIntosh

There is a simple way to do this and a harder, but potentially more
useful way.

First, the easy way. You didn't say what platform you are using
(Windows, Mac, Linux), but all of them have a "symbol" font that comes
installed with the operating system. On Windows it is Wingdings. I dont
know about Macs, but it's easy to find out by following the rest of
these instructions: With your document open in Writer, click on Insert
> Special Character. This will pop up a little window showing all the
> characters in all the fonts on your computer. At the top of this popup window
> is a little scroll box where you can select the font to display. Scroll
> through it until you find Wingdings or whatever symbol font you have. When
> you have found a suitable symbol font, select a checkbox that appeals to you.
> It will appear in the bottom of the popup window. Just close the popup window
> and the checkbox character will be inserted into your document. If you need a
> lot of these checkboxes, once you have inserted one checkbox, select it, then
> copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl-c or Cmd-c). Now you can paste it over and
> over wherever you need a checkbox.

The harder way is to create a form. On a form you can create controls,
one of which is a checkbox control. The advantage of using a form is
that users can just check the box with the document open on their
computers, rather than having to print it out first and check the boxes
with a pen. Users can then save their completed form, saving it under a
different name, and e-mail it back to you. No paper needed. If you need
people to fill out the form who don't have OpenOffice.org, you can
export the form to PDF. Users can then fill in the form with Adobe
Reader 7.0, although they will have to make paper copies to send back
because you can't save a copy of an editable PDF.