1. To find out what version of Mac OS X you are using, click on the Apple in
the upper
left corner, then on "About this Mac".   Because of the error message you
received
I would suspect you are running Mac OS X 10.4 on your system.

>I did download both packages with the Safari browser which (by reading
>the web sit comments) may be causing this behavior?

No.

The downloadable version of X11 that is available from Apple is for Mac OS X
10.3
and will NOT work with Mac OS X 10.4.  The X11 product for Mac OS X is located
on the install disk that came with your Mac and is NOT available on the Apple
download site.  If you lost your original install disk, you will have to obtain
replacement from Apple.  Once you find the disk, please go to the Mac OS X
porting site at http://porting.openoffice.org/mac and follow the how to install
OpenOffice.org page.

>I am relatively clueless on a Mac, having used PCs most of my life.

I find that working with a Mac is easier than a PC. However, it does take time
to unlearn bad habits you have to use on a PC.

BTW, I recommend obtaining and installing Firefox.  More sites support this
browser
than they do Safari.

James McKenzie
Mac OS X QA/Test Team Lead