On Saturday 18 November 2006 7:28 am, Sandy wrote:
> Fred Moore wrote:
> > Do we have an ongoing FAQ anywhere where we can simply point people to ?
> > if so can someone point me to the link.
> >
> > If we don't I think we need one.  So when someone who asks "is it free"
> > eveyone can say  "see www.YadaYada" if this doesn't answer your question
> > please post another message..
> >
> > The first link should say "documentation lives here"
> >
> > Fred
>
> Documentation lives here: http://documentation.openoffice.org./
>
> One of the links is to FAQs:
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/faqs/index.html

Thanks Sandy I had this and misplaced it.  During the last year watching
quesions and responses I have come to the following conclusions:

Many of the simple questions I would guess 70% are covered in the FAQ.

We get a lot of our time wasted by people who haven't even read the first page
of the documentation, nor do they want to be bothered.  Yet we become the
experts because we read the doc.

I delt with this when I worked for a fortune 500 company.  The solution was to
always point each and every person to the documentation.  This does several
things.  1) It points out flaws and missing content in the documentation. 2)
shows people that they can save time by looking at the documentation before
wasting others time.

When I was working this particular support desk a call would go like.

"how do you insert a page break"
"Do you have your manual handy."
"er no"
When you get it look on page 192 second paragraph.
If this does not resolve your problem please call us back we will be happy to
help.

ie: don't waste my time because you don't have time to look it up.

or

"how do you insert a page break:
"Do you have your manual handy"
yes
Turn to page 192.
are you there?
look at paragraph two.
We always thought this worked as documented. would you help us by perhaps
giving us a better way to explain this?

over a period of time our sales increased, our support feedback improved, and
our support cost dropped.

I guess I just get frustrated answering the same questions over and over and
over..   I am going to start pointing people to the correct doc.  If they
don't learn to read it they are just wasting everyones time. Fred