Hello:
OOo2.0.4 /Win98
First, I haven't had prior need to use JDBC. Thus, I'm in unfamiliar territory.

Mysql is running and I use SQLyog as my primary admin tool. No problems there.

When going through the steps in the OOo database wizard, everything is fine up to the point of testing the database connection, which is to say, the jdbc driver loads. I just installed mysql-connector-java-5.0.4 in order to ensure the driver is most up to date. I'm using Mysql 4.1.12

When I attempt to test the database connection, I get one of two errors.
(1)
"Unknown initial character set index '48' received from server. Initial client character set can be forced via the 'characterEncoding' property."
 or
(2)
"Access denied for user [EMAIL PROTECTED] using password XXX where XXX is either Yes or No depending on what was tried. Passwords are used on all user accounts.

I have specified "?characterEncoding=utf8" as part of the datasource URL which partly eliminated the first error. It used to be thrown every attempt. Now the error changes with the username and I suspect it relates to mysql privileges, but that isn't the trouble I'm shooting at the moment.

Any guidance and insight about accomplishing jdbc connections are appreciated.

Doug