Hi Chris!

Walter Hildebrandt,

About two weeks ago I commented on the fact that your way of handling Calc workbooks opening in seperate Windows leaves something to be desired.

I'm not Walter, and I don't know who Walter is. You have sent your email to a list of OpenOffice.org users, similar to yourself. You are not talking to the "owners" of OpenOffice.

You have expressed your frustration well. Many of us have also experienced frustration from time to time with OpenOffice.org, so we know how you feel. Despite frustration, we continue to use OpenOffice.org because we find it is the best tool for the job, despite its imperfections. You have given us lots of details, but I'm not sure you want us (as fellow OpenOffice users) to do.

You have raised a few questions about open source software that "beggars your belief". I have to ask you: How committed are you to open source software? As a user of OpenOffice, you are part of the OpenOffice community, and have an opportunity (if you dare take it) of helping OpenOffice improve. You have raised some points you want fixed. Yelling at us (your fellow users) won't fix them!

If you are serious about it, you have to file some "issues". That's the way to see some real change. I recommend you identify a few of the most important things you would like to see fixed/changed, go to
http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html
and file issues for them. You can then let us know which issues you have filed, and ask us to vote to see those issues implemented. (It's worth searching first to see if there are already issues that deal with your problems.)

In the last month I filed my first issue on a bug I discovered, and it was solved within four hours. That's pretty good! However, not all issues are implemented so quickly. Some involve a lot of work (which has to be prioritised), and some new features can involve lots of discussion.

In the meantime (if you are committed to OpenOffice), you may like to consider redesigning some of your spreadsheets for OpenOffice, or at least experimenting to see whether there is a better way of doing some of those formulas (and macros?) now that you are using OpenOffice. At the moment you are using a spreadsheet designed for a completely different program, and expecting it to perform perfectly in Calc. While OpenOffice is very good at doing that (much better than Excel, which can't do it at all!), you may have better luck redesigning in Calc. You may even come up with a better spreadsheet! (I imagine you can just copy and paste most of the data).

Adrian