Hi G.

Welcome to OpenOffice.org

I have just downloaded OpenOffice 2.0.4 to replace and old copy of Microsoft
Office. I don't see a program to replace Outlook.

We're asked that quite often! I think there's something in the works, but it won't be available for a while.

In the meantime, you don't have to swap all the programs over at once. If you're happy with Outlook, you can continue to use it, and it does integrate well with OpenOffice.org.

If you do want to replace Outlook, there are some other programs around that you might like to look at. Personally, I don't feel there is a significant benefit to use only programs coming from one source (either Microsoft or OpenOffice.org). Sometimes it's better to let different organisations do what they are best at, and use programs from different sources.

What do you use Outlook for? Outlook has lots of features, and I don't know anyone who uses all of them!

Here are some potential alternatives if you are interested (I'm sure others will join in and add to the list):

1. Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/) is an excellent email program, and a good partner to Firefox. It has a reasonable address book, and you can add a calendar if you need one (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/ - Sunbird is a stand alone calendar, while Lightning is integrated into Thunderbird).

2. Evolution (http://shellter.sourceforge.net/evolution/) is an excellent Outlook replacement. It has been available for Linux for years, but the Windows version is still quite new. It is definitely worth looking at. There are lots of interesting articles comparing Evolution to Outlook, including this one: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/11/06/evolution-outlook-replacement-now-for-windows/

3. Essential PIM (http://www.essentialpim.com/) is also designed to be an Outlook replacement, but doesn't do email. There are free and commercial versions.

4. Kontact (http://www.kontact.org/) is my favourite program, but is not yet available for Windows. I understand there may be a Windows version next year (for example, see http://www.trolltech.com/partners/news/news/00000008/)

If you can let us know how you use Outlook, there may be even more suggestions!

Adrian