On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 00:13 -0500, Joe Smith wrote:
> Rick Bilonick wrote:
> > Unfortunately they would all choose to use MS Word so I'm not keen on
> > suggesting it. ...
>
> Hey, I sympathize. Make your case for everyone using OOo; ask them to
> pitch in and buy you MS Office if that's what they want to use, or a
> better computer so you can run Windows virtually ;-) Maybe you can work
> out a system where, rather than round-tripping the entire document, they
> only send you additions and changes (as .doc) and you handle the editing
> of the master document (as .odt).

That's what I'm doing - they send me the .doc parts and I usually send a
pdf back.

> At least they'll be aware of OOo and be exposed to something other than
> Office.
>
>  > ... I don't understand how OOo chooses which font to use for Greek
>  > letters.
>
> And I feel safe to predict that that won't be the last little mystery
> you'll be trying to solve if you persist in trying to use different tools.
>
> I understand how important it is for OOo to market itself as "compatible
> with Office" but the reality is that it is not and never will be
> perfectly compatible. Whether it is "compatible enough" has to be
> answered for each project/document, and very often the answer is "no". I
> wonder if it is a mistake in the long run to encourage people to think
> of OOo as "Office compatible" only to be embarassed and disappointed
> when things don't work out.
>
> > Also, I
> > don't understand why I can type in certain font names like Times New
> > Roman and Symbol even though these font names do not show up in the pull
> > down font list.
>
> OOo doesn't care if you manually specify a font that isn't present: it
> just records that string in the style definition and displays a
> substitute font, hopefully something close. If the document then goes to
> a system that has the specified font, great.
>
> You can specify what fonts are substituted (although it only seems to
> work for fonts that are present--weird). Of course, you can easily
> install those fonts on Linux too.
>
> <Joe

When I specify "Symbol", the actual symbol displayed looks different
from both OpenSymbols and Standard Symbol L. When I do this, the symbols
show up OK in MS Word. If I use OpenSymbols or Standard Symbol L then
they don't show up in text.

Rick B.