Much thanks for your help Harold.  Got it and installed.

Bob McBride
----- Original Message ----- From: "Harold Fuchs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [users] Corrupt Installation File

On Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:44 PM [GMT+1=CET], Bob McBride [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I downloaded the file OOo_2.0.4_Win32Intel_install but when I try to
initiate the install I get an error message that the installation
file is corrupted.

I am running WindowsXP Home on an HP Pavillion Laptop with 512 Mb RAM
and an Athalon dual core processor.  Do you have a solution?  Thanks
First check if the file really is corrupt - it does happen, although rarely. To check its integrity you need to calculate its MD5 sum and compare that to what it should be as per the OOo web site. To learn how to calculate the MD5 sum go to http://www.openoffice.org/dev_docs/using_md5sums.html. To find what the sum should be for the particular file you downloaded go to http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.4/md5sums.html. If the results aren't equal the file is corrupt; download it again and repeat the process.

If the file is OK then the error message is almost certainly being caused by your AntiVirus (AV) or firewall software. This happens frequently. To overcome the problem disconnect from the internet, stop your AV and firewall software, install OOo, restart AV and firewall, reconnect to the internet. Never leave your system connected to the internet if the AV and firewall software are not both running properly.

If you can't get a clean download, possibly because of a slow/poor connection, you could order a CD from http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.4/index.html

Harold Fuchs
London, England