On Saturday, December 02, 2006 10:05 PM [GMT+1=CET], Nino Pereira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Harold,

thank you for your reaction. My version of OpenOffice is 2.0.2:
this is a little disconcerting, because before I wrote my email
I had downloaded the latest version of OpenOffice (2.0.4, I believe)
and I thought I had installed it (by unpacking a 120 Mb file with
tar -zxvf, going to what I thought was the right directory
OOo .... 9307 IIRC), finding the .deb file in the sub-directory
DesktopIntegration, and then executing dpkg -i ...deb.).
Apparently, I did something wrong on my stock Debian system
cat /proc/version gives
Linux version 2.4.27 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian
1:3.3.5-13)) #2 Tue Jul 19 17:37:06 EDT 2005).
<snip>
You are right that 2.0.4 is the latest version but I'm afraid I don't know enough about OOo on Linux to know how to install it. On Windows you download an executable which you then run. Running it causes it to unpack itself into a directory of your choice and then automatically run the installer executable which was one of the files resulting from the unpack operation. Once this has finished you can delete the original downloaded file and all the unpacked files; they play no further part in your use of OOo. Your "tar" command is clearly the unpack operation and I guess your "dpkg ..." command is what runs the installer, but whether you used the right args or whatever I can't say. The installation instructions for Linux at http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.4/instructions.html say you need to do an "rpm" command but that may not apply to your flavour of Linux.

I have changed the Subject line of this thread in the hope that some Linux guru within this mail list will notice and be able to help.

Harold Fuchs
London, England