[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 23:09 +0100, Mathias Bauer wrote:
>
>> No, it's not a matter of missing interest. The problem is that this
>> feature needs a huge amount of work to do. I agree that it is an
>> important feature. But unfortunately there are so many other issues that
>> are important also so that it always is a matter of resources.
>
> Valid point.
>
>> I have planned to sum up the discussion in the issue and join this with
>> my own ideas in the next few weeks. Perhaps this can help to get a more
>> exact estimation about the amount of work to do for this feature.
>>
>> So watching issue 3959 for further comments might be a good idea.
>
> That will be great Mathias! I will be tracking the issue. In the mean
> time I will have to work with another tool [M$ :-(]. As soon as the
> Outline features come out for OO I will be testing them intensively.
Well, ATM I only promised to get an overview and try to develop an
estimation of efforts. Of course the goal is to get the feature
implemented at any point in time. :-)

What I found out in the meantime is really interesting. There is an
important precondition we need to fulfil for every new view
implementation: we must get Writer able to have more than one layout at
a time (otherwise switching views in big documents becomes a pain). But
there are enough other reasons to get this done (architecture,
modularity etc.) so that I don't see a problem to get people to work on
this. But it's a precondition and it also takes time.

A good news might be that I discovered a lot of common elements between
the already existing "online view", the "outline view" and the also
requested "normal view" so that perhaps we can save some implementation
time here. But that's just a first impression, I also noticed some
important differences. But what would coding be without challenges? :-)

So currently I build my working hypothesis under the assumption that we
will have the multi-layout Writer in a forseeable future. Let's see how
far we can get.

> It may also be strategic to be able to import M$ outlines as they are. The
> M$-Novell agreement/debate about inter-compatibility may also be
> relevant.

I can't see how this is related to the "outline view" feature in Writer.
IMHO the missing ability in Writer is "only" a lack of feature but not a
real interop problem like e.g. the missing ability to have notes
associated to a selected text.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".