Jim Smith <jimsmith <at> shaw.ca> writes:

> OK, thanks very much for this info.  I'll get a copy of Access 2000.
>
> Thanks again and Merry Xmas all.
>
> Jim Smith
>
> Arnold Huzen wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > The replies you received from James and Marc were not quite accurate.
> > You can open and edit Access files in Base, BUT:
> >
> > 1. Reports and Queries are lost.
> > 2. If you want to save the changes the only option is to save it as an
> > OpenOffice database file. This file can NOT be read by any other
> > database application than OpenOffice Base.
> >
> > Arnold Huzen
> >

> > Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 19:53:43 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
> > From: James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 <at> earthlink.net>
> > Subject: [users] Can I use OO to modify Access 2000 tables within an .mdb?
> >
> > Jim:
> >
> > Yes you can modify data in an Access database, if you are using the
> > Windows version of OpenOffice.org. It is not possible at the present
> > time to do this with the Unix/Linux/Mac OS X versions as they do not
> > have the necessary support to read and write MS Access files.
> >
> > James McKenzie

Hi Jim,

Your question was the following and so I thought I would clarify the situation.

'Can I use OO Base to modify the records in an Access 2000 table and
still have the resulting table readable by Access 2000?'

If I read this correctly you are asking if you can change the data directly in
the MS Access tables.

That is, you wish to directly access and update the data in the MS Access MDB
file from OpenOffice.org, and for that data to still be able to be used by MS
Access applications.

This can be done and is something I have set up for clients. Generally I set
the client up to have read access to the MS Access file because OpenOffice.org
does not handle recording locking. (This may need to be considered in your
situation.)

By directly accessing the MDB file using ODBC you will not lose your reports,
forms, queries or anything else. I've not seen this happen. (If it did, it is
something that should be reported.)

I produced a document for my users which shows the extensive query
capabilities available to OpenOffice.org users when using an MS Access MDB
file as the data source. I'm letting you know this so that you know the
OpenOffice.org/MS Access MDB combination is a powerful combination that is
often over looked.

Even less known is you don't even have to own a copy of MS Access to create
and use an MS Access MDB file with OpenOffice.org.

Since you are also happy to obtain a copy of MS Access 2000 this leads me to
feel Linux and OS X is not an issue for you.

To ensure this still works as I expected in OpenOffice.org 2.02 I decided to
do a test.

I have a core business application written in MS Access.
I created a Base document to access the MDB file using ODBC.
I then went and changed the values of a business name in the customer table
and saved the record by clicking on another record. (This was done by viewing
and editing the table in Base.)
I then closed the Base application and opened the MS Access application. The
changed value was there in the MS Access application.

I would highly recommend testing your situation. In this test I had previously
set up the ODBC entry as read only. This crashed OpenOffice.org when I went to
edit and save the record. (This did not cause any data loss except of course
for the new data which could not be applied.)

I hope this information is of use.

Regards,

Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au