Burton,

This looks just like an issue I was encountering a short time ago.

I have a Mac Mini. I work on papers, and sometimes the filenames have
single quotes (') in their names. While this wasn't a problem with OOo
on my PC (WinXP), it appears to be on the Mac. I highly suspect a shell
script somewhere which doesn't expect to see single quotes in the name,
as it is perhaps using them to wrap around the filename (to preserve
spaces in the filename). When it "sees" one *in the filename* it thinks
the filename is done, but sees more text after that.

Anyway, I tried to locate the script, but couldn't and didn't have
enough time. Does this sound like your issue?

jeff