Andy Pepperdine wrote:
On Sunday 24 December 2006 14:23, ad van-elsacker wrote:

Dear all

I am already searching for quite some time for the OO equivalent of the
Excel Data option "Text to column" which allows separation of text data in
several columns, by specifying either a fixed width or alternatively a
separating character. Could you help me please ?
Thanks in advance, ad

I assume you are asking to read a text file into OOo Calc, where the file is

SNIP!

Nope, what this person wants is what I want, splitting existing columns into several columns based on some text delimiter or fixed width characteristics. You can go to the following site:

http://www.ooomacros.org/user.php

and scroll down to the Text to Columns macros, download the appropriate one and install it. I've gotten the macro to work on the sample spreadsheet and it works BEAUTIFULLY there (even adds appropriate number of blank columns before doing the split which the versions of Excel I've used doesn't do) but thus far haven't gotten it to install in my library so I can use it in other spreadsheets.

I have a thread a few back (started on 12/19/06) on just this subject, so check it out if you have problems. I still need to try installing from the UNZIPPED download file, and am hoping that solves my problem.

But...I'd love to have this tool integrated into the code instead of an add-on macro, since it's a pretty basic function if you use spreadsheets often. I may add a feature request if I can get some time to do that.

Carl