Adrian Try <adriantry <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Abu
>
> > I just bought a new laptop, and did not install MS Office (!) I'll try
> > running just OOO. However, is there a way I can do without Outlook
> > when I use it to synch my Windows Mobile 2005 device's contacts and
> > calendar? Is there an open desktop calendar application that will sych
> > with my handheld contacts and calendar lists?
>
> There are not many options at the moment. Mozilla is working on a solution
> for syncing with Thunderbird, but that isn't ready yet.
>
> There are a variety of Pocket PC synchronising programs at
> http://pocketpccentral.net/software/sync.htm
>
> I assume that most of them cost money. Some are interesting, allowing you
> to sync with Google Calendar, or the Plaxo PIM.
>
> My wife successfully uses Missing Sync to synchronise everything on the
> Mac with default Mac OSX programs. That works well.
>
> Assuming you're using Windows, there are probably even more options. Your
> first difficulty will be finding a suitable PIM for syncing with! I'm
> looking forward to this improving in the future.
>
> Adrian

Hey Abu and Adrian,

Plaxo has an open API that can be used to create sync endpoints with. You could
create a plug-in to OOO that syncs with Plaxo and then you can use all the other
Plaxo sync endpoints (Microsoft Outlook, OS X Address Book, Yahoo!, Thunderbird,
etc.).

More info is available here:

http://www.plaxo.com/api

And here are the sync endpoints Plaxo supports:

http://www.plaxo.com/downloads

Thanks!
Mark