On Tuesday, January 02, 2007 10:27 AM [GMT+1=CET], [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

ODT documents containing big tables are very slow to open :

For example, i have got a document with just one table containing
simple text but big enough to fill 500 pages. It take about 12 hours
to OpenOffice 2.1 to open it ! During the 12 hours, the CPU load is
100%, and the memory use is normal (~80MB)

I have tried many length :
1 page : 1 second to open
10 pages : 11 seconds
100 pages : 10 minutes
500 pages : 12 hours

When the document is opening there is 2 successives progress bar :
the "document loading" one during 1 minute and a second one unamed
and looping (fast at the beginning and more and more slowly).
I also tried to load a 500 page document filled with simple text : 15
seconds.

What's wrong ?
Probably nothing "wrong" as such; it sounds like

a) the document has some complex features - large graphics? complex formatting? links to external locations on the web or on your own/company's network?

and/or

b) your system is short of memory: real and/or virtual. I'll make a guess that the light on your hard disk flashes wildly while your document opens. You don't say which version of which Operating System you are using. How much RAM do you have? For Windows, look up "memory" in the Help and then read about increasing the size of your "paging file". You could also try defragmenting your hard drive (see "defrag" in the Help). I'm afraid I don't know how to do those things on non-Windows systems.

Harold Fuchs
London, England