DougT wrote:

> Abu_Adam Al-Naruujiy wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Is there a way to assign keyboard shortcuts for special characters?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Abu Adam
>>

> I don't believe you can assign shortcut keys to individual special
> characters.  However, you can assign a shortcut to bring up the special
> characters selection table.   Use Tools | Customize | Keyboard then find
> "Insert" in the Category box and "Special Character" in the Function Box.
>
> It appears that once a character is selected, it continues to be
> highlighted each time the table is called up until you select another
> special character.  The behavior occurs across OOo sessions; i.e., you
> can close OOo and when you restart, the same character is highlighted.
> You must select the character by pressing the space bar or a mouse click
> then insert it by pressing Enter.  I haven't checked to see if the
> selection sticks between bootups. That's almost what you are looking for.
>
> hth,
> DougT

You can assign them by using a macro to insert the special character.  There
is a document explaining how to do that.  It may be the "special characters"
or another document listed on the page
http://documentation.openoffice.org./HOW_TO/index.html

If not, it is on one of the related pages in
http://documentation.openoffice.org./

Regards, TerryJ