On Friday 05 January 2007 18:25, Galen wrote (regarding [users] Re: Problem
with regular expression in FIND() worksheet function):
<<SNIPPED>>
> The comma between the arguments to FIND was a typo in my posting. My actual
> worksheet has a semicolon there, as Joe indicated it should.
>
> Doesn't the help for FIND say that it supports regular expressions? Or did
> I confuse it with SEARCH somehow?
> Here at work I don't have access to any Calc documentation, but maybe
> there's some  at OOO that I've missed.
>
> The reason I'm using FIND is that it only searches within a specified cell.
> I want to check the contents of the cell to see if certain characters are
> present. Is there a better way to do this?
>
> I really appreciate your comments and suggestion. :-)
Hi Galen,

a.  The Help on the FIND() function does not explicitly mention that FIND()
does /not/ support reg-exp; however, the help for SEARCH() says that SEARCH()
*supports* regexp.

b.  I am rather dense, but still, I am unable to understand your requirement -
I have created a spreadsheet (rudimentary, and with practically no sensible
data), that has one cell (B1) as the "search pattern" (I am a lazy bum!!),
and other cells (A1 through A5) with the "text" portion.

I then invoke "SEARCH($B$1;A2)" in the cell B2, and copy it down through B5.
It works exactly as I expect.  In fact, I tried it out with an array, and it
worked perfectly!  To change the search pattern, just change the values in
B1, and hey, presto, the values returned by SEARCH() changes everywhere.

Is this what you want, or have I, as is my norm, completely mistaken your
requirements ?  Do ask, and if you want me to send you the worksheet, let me
know.

--
Pradeep Srinivas
Bangalore, India