Hi Elliot,

On 5 Jan 2007, at 20:16, Elliot Austein wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I ran software update & got the response that all my software is up to date.

I don't know if the following is a clue or just the way OpenOffice works on the Mac. When I do get Writer, it appears against a background of a plain X11 screen. No desktop. No menus or buttons. Just an "xterm" terminal window. I can navigate within OpenOffice but to reach anything else I hit the "quit" keys - (apple)-Q. Then I lose Writer, lose the X11 screen, recover my desktop, and must answer the dialog "do you want to quit X11?" Typically I answer "cancel", meaning "don't quit X11". The desktop stays put, Writer stays out of sight, and I can go about my business. I can retrieve Writer by hitting the X11 icon in the Dock. But I can't overlay a window from another application over Writer. Mutually exclusive. A bit reminiscent of DOS.

--Elliot

That is exactly what I need to know to resolve your problem.

You are X11 running in fullscreen mode.
Active the X11 preferences (command+,) and go to the "output" tab and then deselect "Enable the Enter Full Screen Menu".

Shaun
--

___________________________________________________________ All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of [EMAIL PROTECTED]@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html