On 1/9/2007 4:45 AM, Rita Laurance wrote:
Dear Openoffice;
I did not mean to imply that having three different  German dictionaries was
stupid. But I don't speak or read any German, so can I uninstall these
dictionaries to have more room for my French and Italian dictionaries? Now that
I have downloaded French and Italian, I have eight dictionaries, which just
slows the system. Thanks.
Sincerely;
Rita Laurance

<snip>
The dictionaries are in C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.x\share\dict\ooo for version 2.x of OO. Their names all have a ".dic" extension. I suppose that if you really want to you could delete some of them. But why? OpenOffice will only ever consult the ones it needs at spell-check time. For a single language document that's just one dictionary; even if your document has checkable text in 5 languages OO will still only consult 5 dictionaries. If you don't write German OO won't reference the German dictionaries. I doubt having more dictionaries will slow down the operation of the software; I'd be interested to know why you think it will. True, they take up disk space; if that's an issue for you then ...

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England