Several antivirus tools and firewalls are, in fact, available for Ubuntu
6.10. I've been using ClamAv and Firestarter, respectively this last month,
and am very satisfied with their performance ; i e, I don't seem to have
been bothered by malware and the above-mentioned programmes have not, as far
as I've been able to discern, led to any problems for my computer. And of
course, even if a malicious programme were to get through these shields, the
damage it could do is much less than would be the case with a Windows OS,
due to a much less dangerous basic construction. But Ubuntu does demand more
of its user - in any event, that is my (subjective) experience thus far....

Henri

2007/1/13, Ganesha Bhaskara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> [...]
If you use openoffice for most of your work and do not require M$
Windoze try ubuntu linux. (http://www.ubuntu.com). Openoffice is
available for linux and there will be no more hassles with AV norton or
whatever other AV software.

-G

> >> Does Open Office offer this service, or can you recommend one?
> >>
> >> June-Anne Hare
> >>
> > Norton anti-virus software IS a virus.  It runs processes in the
> > background
> > without your permission.  It misses a LARGE number of problems that
AVG